Episode 26: Dana Barnes, Palo Alto Networks Senior Vice President, asks: Do you value your rival?
When you play for the Navy, in any sport, the most important thing you can do is beat the Army. The rivalry is real. It makes each one of them better. This week’s episode features Dana Barnes, Senior Vice President of Palo Alto Networks, and a former member of the Naval Academy Football team. His past leadership experience includes Microsoft’s Vice President of State and Local Government and leading operations for Microsoft’s National Security Group. Dana shares that coaching youth ice hockey prepared him for his leadership transition, “Coaching youth sports taught me that I do not know it all,” he said, “When I came to Palo Alto Networks, I knew my job was to listen, learn, and create an environment that is conducive for my teammates to succeed.”
You will learn:
- 13:00 The power of celebrating moments that often go unnoticed.
- 17:30 How to empower your teammates to make decisions.
- 24:00 Why it is critical to have a rival.
- 33:30 How to lead people older than you in a respectful way.
- 40:00 How to remain calm under pressure.
- Connect with Dana on LinkedIn
- David Ross book mentioned Teammate: My Journey in Baseball and a World Series for the Ages.
- Learn more about Palo Alto Networks.