Carl Eschenbach, Sequoia Capital Partner, Asks: Do You Hate To Lose Or Love To Win?
Want to read along? Download the transcription of this interview here.
As the President and COO of VMware, Carl Eschenbach helped build the company from 200 employees and 30 million dollars in revenue to 20,000 employees and 7 billion dollars in revenue. In 2016, he became a partner at Sequoia Capital – widely regarded as Silicon Valley’s most prestigious venture capital firm.
Carl is a true Corporate Competitor: He grew up in Pennsylvania and received five Most Valuable Athlete Awards and 10 varsity letters from his time playing football, baseball, and wrestling. In 2020, Carl was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame as an Outstanding American.
In this episode, Carl emphasizes the importance of “learning how to lose” because it is unlikely we will go undefeated in life. You will hear specific examples of his push (motivation) and pull (inspiration) leadership techniques so you can fight complacency.
You Will Learn:
- 4:00 The importance of “learning how to lose” because it is unlikely we will go undefeated in life.
- 11:00 The difference between motivation and inspiration, and how to balance both techniques in your leadership.
- 19:00 How Carl views getting older, and the fun goal he sets to resist complacency.
- 30:00 The nightly routine Carl has with his son to set him up for success.
- 32:00 4 things that threaten to stunt your team’s growth.
Download Carl’s Bookmark
- Connect with Carl on LinkedIn
- Wrestling Hall of Fame 2020 Induction Class.
- Sequoia Capital has been an early invester in companies like Airbnb, Instagram, and Zoom! Learn more.