Lewis Howes Interviews Don Yaeger
Top 16 Characteristics with Don Yaeger
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Who was the most inspiring athlete that motivated Yeager to start writing books.
- What it was like to spend time with Walter Payton during the last 10 weeks of his life.
- What it was like being mentored by John Wooden for the last 10 years of his life.
- How to maintain a positive and valuable inner circle (and how this is essential for greatness).
- That “life is all about a series of pay it forward opportunities and mentoring is the greatest one”
- The importance of reaching out to mentors when seeking them.
- Who the most inspiring athlete is for Yaeger: Michael Jordan.
- About the intimidating presence that Michael Jordan has.
- Yaeger’s explanation for seeking greatness.
- Why you must hate losing more than you like winning.
- Which is more valuable: an amazing skill-set or an amazing mindset.
- Why sustainability is so important when seeking greatness.
- Why Yaeger appreciates Derek Jeter so much as an athlete.
- Yaeger’s predictions for Kobe Bryant.
- What’s going on next for Yaeger: Make a Wish Foundation.
Quotes for this Episode:
- “You will never outperform your inner circle.” – John Wooden
- “You show me your friends and I’ll show you your future.” – John Wooden
- “Competitive greatness is your ability to be your very best when your best is needed.”
- “A loss is not a failure until you make an excuse.” – Michael Jordan
- “You gotta do common things, uncommonly well.” – Don Yaeger
- “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” – Don Yaeger
- “Greatness is not attainable, but in the pursuit of it, you can achieve excellence.” – Vince Lombardi
Books Mentioned in this Episode:
- Never Die Easy
- The Game Plan for Life
- Wooden on Leadership
- 16 Characteristics of Greatness
- Wish Granted
- Seven Habits of Highly Effective People